WAIT! Are you trying to renew your membership at your club? If so, you no longer have to rejoin the club. Just click on the “Club Renewal“. Then scroll down to “My Member Clubs” and select the club membership that you want to renew.
Looking to establish a handicap in the Miami Valley? Then an MVGA Handicap Club membership is for you!
A Handicap Club membership is for golfers who are interested in maintaining a USGA Handicap Index. In order to maintain a handicap, you must join an Miami Valley Golf Association member club.
There are three types of MVGA member clubs:
- Green grass clubs, also known as Type 1 clubs, are groups of individuals who are affiliated with a golf course property whether it’s private, semi-private, public, retirement, resort or military. The club is located at a single specific golf course with a valid USGA Course and Slope Rating where a majority of the club’s events are played and where the club’s scoring records reside.
- Affiliate Clubs, or Type 2 clubs, are not attached to any particular golf course, but conduct tournaments on a regular basis and whose members are affiliated or known to one another via a business, fraternal, ethnic or social organization. The majority of the club members had an affiliation prior to organizing the club
- Unaffiliated Clubs, or Type 3 clubs, consist of members that had no prior affiliation before joining and a majority of the recruiting and sign-up of the membership is done by solicitation to the general public.
Club members must follow the rules and regulations set forth by the United States Golf Association in the administration of the handicap system. Memberships are available for both 9-hole and 18-hole clubs.
In most instances, individuals pay their MVGA dues directly to the club to which they belong. Some MVGA member clubs, however, have opted to allow members to pay their dues through the MVGA website.
Your MVGA club handicap membership dues pay for more than just your USGA Handicap. The Miami Valley Golf Association:
- Is licensed by the United States Golf Association (USGA) to provide handicapping services to its member clubs.
- Provides access to the Miami Valley Handicap Network, a state-of-the-art handicap system through association provided computers at all Miami Valley member clubs. The MVHN provides all MVGA members an online, real-time method for posting scores.
- Provides access to member clubs that allow the posting of scores over the Internet.
- Through the MVHN network, provides management tools to clubs to ensure fair and accurate handicaps of its members – a vital responsibility of a club’s handicap/tournament committees.
- Is the authoritative source of information on the operations of the USGA Handicap System — provides expertise and support to handicap committees to assist them in following the rules of the USGA Handicap System.
- Conducts educational seminars to handicap committees in order to satisfy the USGA’s requirement that each club have a representative certified in the administration of the USGA Handicap System.
- Provides members with access to the MVGA web site enabling them to post scores online, review both their own scoring records as well as the record of other members of the association, enter tournaments, and obtain information on Miami Valley Golf Clubs.
- Provides discounts to the membership through alliances with corporate sponsors and partners.
- Manages a successful club delegate program to facilitate communication with our member clubs.
- Provides opportunities for volunteerism and annually recognizes those individuals who have demonstrated outstanding service to the association and the game.
- Oversees the Miami Valley Golf Foundation (AGF), a 501 (c)(3) charitable organization, that is targeted toward our future generations and relies on charitable donations to fund programs.
- Conducts the Miami Valley Metropolitan Amateur Championship & Women’s Amateur Championship, the premier amateur championships in our territory, as well as 40 plus tournaments each year, providing a competitive venue for individuals of all ages and ability.
- Administers the regional qualifying rounds for the championships conducted by the United States Golf Association (USGA).
- Conducts an annual Miami Valley Team Invitational at a premier golf facility in our area. Each club is entitled to enter one eight-person team to participate in 27 hole multiple format event.
- Recognizes exceptional playing ability through its annual sponsorship of teams to participate in the Ohio Intra-State for Men and Tri-City for the Women and every other year it sends a team to represent Ohio at the USGA State Team Championship.
- Assists college golf programs through financial support and assistance in the administration of regional competitions.
- Provides an authoritative source of information on all aspects of tournament administration and course marking.
- Provides expertise and education in the interpretation and application of the USGA Rules of Golf.
- Is the local representative of the USGA in matters of amateur status.
- Provides course measuring services to member clubs – a critical element of accurate USGA Course and Slope ratings.
- Provides global positioning satellite (GPS) services for golf courses to acquire accurate measurements of sprinkler heads as well as golf course mapping, which is used to generate yardages books and effective irrigation management tools. Additional fees are required for this service.
- Through a license with the USGA, rates all member clubs throughout the Miami Valley in order to provide the USGA Course and Slope Rating – an essential element of the USGA Handicap System.
- Works with and supports local allied associations including the Miami Valley Golf Course Superintendents, the Miami Valley Masters, the First Tee of Greater Miami Valley, the Southern Ohio PGA and many other smaller charitable organizations wishing to use golf as means to raise charitable dollars for causes affecting our community
- Has representation on several USGA committees and has participated in changes and improvements to the USGA Handicap and Course Rating Systems.